Friday, April 18, 2008

Wasps

So we have wasps and carpenter bees. Ever since we moved in we have had wasps flying around in the house occasionally - usually they come in when it warms up in the winter (I guess they thaw out and get confused or something). I actually stepped on a wasp in the house with bare feet , and my foot went numb - wow did that hurt! We knew we had carpenter bees, too because of the inspection report before we bought the house, but we hadn't seen any until last week.

The wasps started coming out again - inside and outside - when the weather warmed up for spring. I also saw 2 carpenter bees flying around. The last straw was when Noah went into his room and freaked out because there was a "long thing in my room that flies and walks too" Sure enough it was a wasp. I killed it, finally, after missing a couple times because it saw me coming. I called Orkin and they came out the next day.

Thinking that that would be the end of it, we were playing outside again. Then the wasps came back. The kids are afraid to get stung and don't want to go outside. I called Orkin back today and she said that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better! I can't believe it. We had 6 wasps in the breezeway at one time, and the 2 carpenter bees were back. Luckily they will come back between scheduled sprayings for free.

Keely is trying to control the population by snapping at them, but I'm afraid she'll get stung. It seemed like the bee was just teasing her by dive bombing and then hovering just out of her reach. What do you do for a dog that gets stung by a wasp or bee? I don't want to find out. Can dogs be allergic or go into anafalactic shock? I hope not.

1 comment:

Aunt Cathy said...

I hate wasps! I remember the time I came home from school and the wasps had all come out of the fireplace. Luckily Rob happened to come by and save me. it seemed like thousands of the stupid bugs