Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!!

Happy Earth Day to all! We have been trying to do our part to change the world. Reduce, reuse, recycle should be added to the other 3R's that kids are taught at school. Jakob said that they have recycling bins for paper.
I like to recycle, I enjoy doing my part to keep some trash out of the landfill - which, by the way, I heard the one where our refuse goes is almost full.
I had a tour of the Juvenile Court recently, and the judge said that he is working on getting Wal-Mart, the biggest retailer, and probably biggest employer in town, to start a cardboard recycling drop off area to go with the aluminum, glass and plastic receptacles they currently supply. Many of the women on the tour agreed that we would support that program. We have a lot of cardboard that I am trying to find uses for, but a lot of it just ends up in the trash any way. I dropped off our recyclables yesterday, and for the first time the bins were full! Unfortunately, I can't help but think though, that it may have only been because of the focus on recycling that have been going on recently in the media. That's depressing!
It was amazing how much trash floated to the roads all over town when we flooded last month. A community service crew came around last week and cleaned up, however, the trash bags the filled are still sitting on the side of the road. :(
Buying and growing locally helps, too. I try to do that as often as I can. It is a little more difficult in our current location where people aren't as environmentally conscious as they are in Cali. As far as I know, there is no local farmer's market in the area, so we would have to drive to each individual farm store to get what we need. That seems to defeat the purpose a little, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Christine B said...

Our school wide theme next year is Dare to Care! The focus is on recycling and doing good things for the environment. We just added plastic recyling to our paper recycling. Of course a teacher had to volunteer to collect the plastic and take it to the recycling center! But it is a start. Oh and we encourage aluminum recycling with a contest for the class that recycles the most.