Sunday, September 28, 2008

Three Cups of Tea

So, as many of you know, I usually don't read books. It's just not something I'm into, although I should be. Steve does most of the reading in our house - enough for both of us actually! However, in the last year I have managed to read about 5 books. And I am glad I did. The most recent book, which I just finished last night, is called Three Cups of Tea.
It chronicles the work of a man (Greg Mortenson) who was a mountain climber and after his failed attempt to climb K2 in Pakistan in the early 90's to honor his sister's memory, literally stumbled into building schools in the poorest areas of Pakistan and eventually Afganistan.
There is frank talk about his observations about the War Against Terror, and the lack of funding this country gave to Afganistan after beginning the attacks and how reconstruction in the area, although promised, has basically been ignored. There is great insight about how the 'bad guys' have planned ahead (under the guise of education in the form of madrassas) for a long fight, one that will not be won lightning fast like our current administration thought it would.
It illustrates the beauty and compassion of a misunderstood people and culture. The friends and allies that Mortenson made in the region have vowed to protect him with their lives. The fathers and village elders have promised to protect and promote his cause in the face of war, violence, and fatwas proclaimed against him, because they understand the importance of education in the fight against terror and the betterment of people. If only everyone could understand that the fight is not only going to be won by force, but by education and understanding.
I recommend this book to everyone. I think it is a cause worth supporting and I just wanted to share the book with everyone. There is so much more in the book that I cannot express here, everyone should just buy a copy, or check it out at the library, and read for themselves about 'one man's mission to promote peace, one school at a time.'

No comments: